Monday, December 15, 2014

Eat As Much As Your Tummy Desires at Master Wok

It’s a pleasure knowing that GWStarving (my foodie group) members were invited to a food-tasting at Master Wok’s Kelapa Gading outlet. It’s located at the Food Temptation, which was the food court of the mall, so you needn’t worry about not getting seats as there were lots of seats available for you there.


Master Wok was actually a food seller, who brought the concept of ready-to-serve food as well as “all you can take” at the same time. For me, it’s an innovative idea as the food offered was Chinese, while this concept was usually found in Padang restaurant. If you’re still wondering what I meant by “all you can take”, basically Master Wok allowed the guest to take the dish he chose as much as he wished as long as it’s only once. So, what you bought was the package, while for the portion, you're free to decide.
  


Previously, I’ve ever seen Master Wok’s outlet in Senayan City as well. Comparing the one in Kelapa Gading to the one in Sency, I guessed Gading’s displayed more choices for the dishes. Actually, Master Wok had 40 selections for the dishes; 22 of which were meat/seafood, while the remaining 18 were veggies. However, not all of them would be simultaneously displayed. So, you might find different varieties if you came at different time. Normally, 30 menus will be served per day.

Facing so many tempting choices, I was confused which one to go for. Luckily, the waitress was so helpful in assisting me picking the menu that suits my taste bud. She also showed which one were the new ones, as well as which were the best-sellers. At that time, I found it quite hard to take the dish by myself as the position was unreachable. I then asked the waitress to take it for me, and I was so happy finding that she gave me very generous portion.


My foodie friends and I purposely picked different dishes so we could try more of the varieties. So what's on our table?

 
Fragrant Chicken, Oyster Sauce Pakcoy (rice + 1 chicken/fish + 1 veggie IDR 34.5k)




First was my dish, which was the combo of rice with 1 meat and 1 veggie. I picked Fragrant Chicken, which was a spicy combination of fried chicken fillet with special sauce, onions, and chili. I loved this dish so much as the seasonings were rich and the texture was crispy outside and tender inside. Just one downside, the dish was given the code of 3 chillis which meant very spicy, but the actual one was just slightly spicy. If only it could be spicier, I guessed it would taste much better. For the veggie, I picked Oyster Sauce Pakcoy. It was a lovely one as the Pakcoy was perfectly cooked and the oyster sauce could be strongly felt.

Beijing Chicken, Szechuan Style Tofu, Kailan Garlic (rice + 1 chicken/fish + 2 veggies IDR 43.6k)



This one belonged to my foodie friend, but for sure, I did try it (as I shared mine as well). Since this was also chicken, I certainly compared it to mine. The chicken was actually simular and what differentiated the two dishes was mainly the sauce. This Beijing sauce was also coded 3 chilis, but again it was only slightly spicy, even less spicier than mine. Besides, it was slightly sweeter as well, making me prefer my dish to this one. For the veggies, my friend picked Szechuan Style Tofu and Kailan Garlic. The Szechuan sauce was okay but the tofu was too dry for me. On the other hand, the simple Kailan garlic came as the curer with its simply delicious taste.

Salted Egg Prawn, Minced Chicken Eggplant, Angsio Tofu (rice + 1 beef/prawn + 2 veggies IDR 43.6k)




Another combination belonged to my friend, which I also tried was this one. Among all the meat dishes I tasted, I thought this salted egg prawn was the best! The taste had successfully pampered my taste bud. I was very lucky that it was still quite warm when I had it so I still could feel the crispiness of the prawn itself. Usually, I hated salted egg but I guessed this one was an exception, as I didn’t find any problem eating it (I even wanted more). For the first veggie which was Angsio Tofu, similar to the previous tofu dish, I loved the sauce but I preferred the tofu to be moister. Another one was Minced Chicken Eggplant, which tasted quite luscious. I loved the idea of combining the eggplant with minced chicken. However, with the slimy texture of the eggplant, I guessed it would be far better to be enjoyed warm.   

Great news, besides main course, I did try some of their desserts! Actually, the guest might choose between fried snacks or desserts for the package bought. At that time, I picked desserts. What Master Wok provided as the closer for your dining session was beancurd. Having beancurd as the dessert was really suitable, remembering that the main dish was already fulfilling enough and thus, people needed something light to be the closer.  

Mango Beancurd (IDR 9.1k)



For me, mango flavor for beancurd was quite rare to be found and therefore, I was immediately interested to this one. Coming to taste, this unique combination was actually not bad, but it was just slightly too sweet, making it would be quite hard to finish the whole portion.

Original Beancurd (IDR 9.1k)
  

On the other hand, the original one perfectly suited my preference for the sweetness level. The soft texture was really delightful as well. On my next visit, I would surely have this again as my dessert.

Iced Tea

For beverage, actually the package came with free iced tea so all of us were having this drink. However, Master Wok did provide other choices like Lemon Tea, Milk Tea, Mineral Water, and Canned Drinks.



In brief, I was glad to attend this food-tasting as I could try several selections of Master Wok’s dishes. As I’ve mentioned, I did love some of their dishes and I was pleased with the great service. Besides, Master Wok could be a choice for repeating visits as well since there were so many choices of dishes, which you could try one by one each day. As a plus point, the outlets were highly accessible as they were spread in various areas in Jakarta. For price, you needn’t worry as the package is highly affordable.

Taste: 8/10
Place: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Price: 8.5/10


MASTER WOK
Address: Food Temptation Kelapa Gading
Operating hours: 9.30am – 10.00pm
Other locations: Food Court Lotte Shopping Avenue, Food Studio Senayan City, Supermal Karawaci, Botani Square


Find me on: 
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment