Sunday, December 28, 2014

The All-Time Favorite Bubur Ayam Mangga Besar



Located at the heaven for Chinese Food Lovers, Bubur Ayam Mangga Besar has been long well known as one of the best chicken porridge in Jakarta. You will almost always meet a long queue before able to get a seat here. Similar to any typical traditional Chinese restaurant, the venue doesn't have any particular design theme and it's indeed hot inside.


One unique fact, you cannot see any menu and there is no waiter who'll come to your table and ask for your order. Instead, you have to immediately tell your order by yourself right to the owner, who's stand by at the front part. At first, I was quite confused which one should I order as I’ve never dined in this restaurant before and I was totally clueless. Thanks to the queue, I could see what the people before me ordered and I then knew how to do so. 


 
Basically, you were given several options for the carbo-dish; jasmine rice, Hainanese rice, plain porridge, and fish porridge; all of which would come with cakwe. Then for the toppings, there were lots of choices, which can be mixed and served together in a big plate together with sliced ginger and fermented pak choy (sayur asin). They were steamed chicken, fried chicken, chicken liver, grilled duck, boiled egg, and even century egg/preserved egg (telur pitan). Another signature dish they had was tofu with sweet sauce. You were free to choose which toppings you desired, including the quantity for each.

So here was what my family and I opted for our supper at that night.

Tofu with Soy Sauce


If I might say, this tofu could be called as the appetizer here. As I mentioned before, it was also the signature dish here, which all guests would definitely order. This dish might look so simple but once it entered your mouth, your mind would immediately be blown away as it was SO SO GOOD! The tofu was so moist and you could strongly feel the soy sauce taste even until the middle part of the tofu. As the sweetness level was impeccably balanced, this light dish was surely able to be a seamless starter.

Fish Porridge with Cakwe


I always love eating hot porridge. In fact, I find it hard to eat porridge if it’s not served hot, yes extremely hot is actually my most favorite. This time, the porridge served here perfectly suited my preference. The texture was precise as well as it’s neither too dry, nor too watery. Unfortunately, I could barely find fish inside the bowl. Thanks to the abundant toppings in front of me, because they did come as flawless substitutes to the fish.


Boiled Egg
I actually did not know how to call this one in English as in Bahasa, it’s called as Telur Kecap. I just felt it weird to mention it as ‘Egg with Soy Sauce’ or ‘Soy Sauce Egg’. Thus, I called it as Boiled Egg instead. Actually, they did serve plain boiled egg here, for which they used duck’s egg. While this Telur Kecap was actually boiled egg, which was cooked with soy sauce. It was slightly sweet and the texture was chewy. The egg yolk’s color was orange as it was duck’s egg.

Chicken Liver
I personally hate chicken liver so this one was not going into my bowl. It’s my mom’s order since she is the only one in the family who loves to eat liver. She said that it was well-seasoned and she really enjoyed it.


Steamed Chicken
If you were a Chinese cuisines lover or maybe Singaporean dishes enthusiast, I believe you’ve been very familiar with this steamed chicken. Yes, usually people enjoy it with Hainanese rice. The steamed chicken served in this restaurant was so lovely. It was perfectly boiled that the texture was so tender. It was well-seasoned as well, making this healthy dish tasted so yummy.

Fried Chicken
If previously I said that the steamed chicken was great, then this fried chicken was way even better! Similar to the steamed one, the texture was unquestionably soft as well. But, this one came with one plus point, which was the heavenly crispy skin! Cooked with the sweet sauce, it was just unexplainable by words. Please note that I was not over-exaggerating this. Wait until you try it by yourself and don’t blame me if it causes you addiction.


Overall, I really enjoyed my dining experience in Bubur Ayam Mangga Besar. I was so happy that finally I could try this super well-known Chinese dish, which so many people have told me since long time ago. The taste was indeed superb as what people have said. It surely deserved repeating visit :)

Taste: 9/10
Place: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Price: 8/10

Thanks for Reading! :)


BUBUR AYAM MANGGA BESAR
Address: Jl. Mangga Besar 1 No. 46A
Phone: (021) 6280 474
Operating Hours: Mon – Sun 10.30am – 2.30pm, 5.00pm – 00.30am



Find me on: 


Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment