Wednesday, July 27, 2016

More than Just Coffee at Wake Cup



Another member of the huge coffee shop family in PIK area, Wake Cup Coffee. If you happen to know the restaurant serving the best simmer pot in town (in my opinion and I believe almost all people’s opinion!), Huang Ji Huang, Wake Cup is just next to it! Or perhaps, you might know the hairdresser Toni & Guy, this coffee shop is right below it. Well, it’s not hard to find the venue as it’s located at one of the most crowded spots for dining in PIK. Additionally, one unique characteristic is the roof of the coffee shop, which is shaped like a right triangle, distinctive from the common shape of most roofs.

The place is not that spacious, but I think the size is just more or less similar to any other coffee shops in PIK. The one-storey venue is further divided into two sections; the outer side which is dedicated for smoking area and the inner one which is for non-smoking. Despite the cigarette smell, I personally prefer the outer spot as it’s covered with huge glass windows, allowing perfect natural light to come in and yes, for sure it looks like the production place for instagenic photos! The wall decoration here seems like very supportive as well with all the murals, allowing you to make great selfies and self-pictures. It’s even utilized for party and bridal shower; a great idea I just realized when I went there last time as I saw the event was being held.


Despite being a coffee shop, Wake Cup actually serves the dishes beyond just the coffee cups or light bites as the coffee companions. It surprisingly comes up with several choices of heavy meals like rice-based dishes, pasta, and fulfilling-sized pastries. Great news, they all come with pocket-friendly prices so I guess they still match the needs and wants of most coffee shop visitors; not too much spending yet you can enjoy sit back and relax for long time.



My full-course catch-up session with friends there started with some light bites; Pop Tofu (IDR 27k), Potato Wedges (IDR 27k), and Cheesy Balls (IDR 32k). All these fried snacks were luscious and addicting as they’re crispy, not greasy, and delightfully spiced. As they came in bite-size, they doubtlessly made the perfect mates to my cup of caffeine. Please don’t ask me to pick one as it might be tough to do so. Best solution, go with friends, order all of them then share! Cause that’s what friends are for, aren’t they? Sharing is beyond stories, it’s also every single thing you have on the plate :) .


Continuing the round to the heavier one, this was the dish that attracted me the most, Philly Cheese Dog (IDR 45k). Yes, for sure because I was a big big fan of cheese! Ok, appearance wise, it might look not that appetizing. Yet still, I believe you could see that melted mozzarella cheese on top of this dish. And yeah, after all presentation just came next for me and taste was always the most important. Saying it honestly, yes this might not be the best hotdog ever, but it did taste scrumptious, the sliced beef stuffing was generously given, and most essential for me, I could taste the mozzarella cheese at each bite.

Philly Cheese Dog (IDR 45k)

Seems like understanding Indonesians best, Wake Cup did serve rice-based dishes. Yes, you heard it right, rice; indeed not a typical dish served by any other coffee shop particularly in PIK area. Wake Cup became kind of distinctive due to this as you could enjoy your sip of coffee not only with light bites, but also the heavy meals, and this one’s RICE!

Gyu Matah Don (IDR 48k)

Greater news, I tried their Gyu Matah Don (IDR 48k) and it’s not bad at all; I could even say it tasted lovely enough. The beef might need to be a little bit tenderer, but the moist scramble egg and the spicy yet yummy matah sauce could cause you amnesia on the beef texture. I loved how the matah sauce didn’t contain too much shallot so the shallot taste was not overpowering, and the after-taste (including your breathe aroma) is still nice. Not leaving bad after-taste at your palate.

Coming with this super affordable price, this plate was surely a great deal! Beware, if you couldn’t handle spicy food at all, you’d better request for the non-spicy one. PS, if you’re more into bread person than the rice one, this dish is also available in the ‘hotdog’ version, called as Gyu Matah Dog (IDR 45k).


Bread checked, rice checked, so what’s next? Yeps, you got it right if you just said PASTA! My friends and I had their Spaghetti Aglio Olio (IDR 39k) and Fettuccine Alfredo (IDR 39k), the combination with contradicting components completing each other; in which one was light and spicy while the other was thick and creamy. Both the spaghetti and the fettuccine were cooked al dente, yet the flavor might be even better if they could be slightly saltier and tastier. Thanks to the toppings which came as great saviors, with generously given smoked beef in the spaghetti and abundantly mixed mushroom slices in the fettuccine.  

Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream (IDR 35k)

The crispy skin to the KFC, the mozzarella cheese stuffing to the stuffed crust pizza, yessss the best part to all my full-course meals, D.E.S.S.E.R.T.S! Not to miss one of the most recommended desserts from Wake Cup, I tried their Chocolate Brownie (IDR 35k), which was served with vanilla ice cream. For brownie, my favorite’s the fudgy type one with more solid texture. Calling it lucky coincidence, this brownie exactly satisfied my preference. Not only being so fudgy, it’s also served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. Could you ask for better combination? ;)

Chocolate Cream Pie (IDR 30k)

When people say there’s always a room for desserts, I’ll say every single room will be available for desserts. That pretty much represents how insane I am for desserts. If people go for 1 dessert in their full-course, I’ll go for 2 or even more! So here came my next round of desserts, Chocolate Cream Pie (IDR 30k). It immaculately combined the delicious pie crust base which has cake alike texture, with the balancedly sweet and moist chocolate cream. Thanks to the cake for suiting my palate so well as it’s neither too milky, nor too chocolaty.

Coffee Latte (IDR 32k)

Now the best and the most important thing in any coffee shops, the coffee itself. As I didn’t drink black coffee, I opted for this Coffee Latte (IDR 32k), taking the normal version.  Normal basically meant double ristretto. On the other hand, they did provide the light version, which was the one served with one ristretto. As I tried both, I recommended the normal one as it had the right level of coffee taste for me, both in terms of the bitterness as well as the acidity. Nevertheless, if you didn’t really drink coffee and you preferred the lighter one, you could go for the single ristretto.

Coffee Latte (IDR 32k)

Moreover, another option’s to go for the combined drink, combining coffee and non-coffee ingredients like this Taro-Spresso (IDR 38k). This drink was probably the highlight of the day as all my friends and I without exception, loved it so much that we’re competing with each other to get more sips of it. The sweet taro was impeccably complemented by the slightly bitter coffee taste from the single espresso shot.

In case your caffeine tolerance’s approaching the zero level, you still needn’t worry as they do serve the coffee-free beverages, such as Peanut Butter Caramel (IDR 38k) and Chocolate Milk Shake (IDR 30k). For the first one, as a peanut-butter addict, my taste bud preferred it to be less milky and have stronger peanut butter taste. While for the latter one, I could say nothing but hands down to this non-coffee drink. The strong dark chocolate taste was extremely good that you might feel you wouldn’t be willing to leave any single drop in the glass.

Summarizing my café-hoping experience in Wake Cup, I was really satisfied in a nutshell. Starting from the appetizers up to the beverages, my palate kept being well-pampered.


Taste: 8/10
Place: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 8.5/10


Thanks for reading! :)


Wake Cup Coffeeshop
Address: Ruko Crown Golf Mediterania A 52, Pantai Indah Kapuk, Jakarta
Phone: +62 21 564 0814 / +62 8190 8818 013
Operating Hours: Mon – Sun 8am – 10pm


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment