Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Real Pappa at PappaRich

Already having more than 100 outlets in 10 countries hasn’t made PappaRich satisfied enough. This 10-year-old franchise-based Malaysian restaurant then entered Indonesia as the 11th country where it spread its wings. PappaRich has been highly well-known in various Asian countries (even Australia and Los Angeles!) it had entered prior to Indonesia, as one of the best Malaysian restaurants. It has even won quite many top brand awards since 2010. Knowing about this, I was getting beyond excited to taste the dishes they served, which had successfully made people deeply in love with the restaurant.
 

Resided at Mandara Permai area at PIK, PappaRich became another new comer adding the crowd to this particular spot in PIK, which used to be quite deserted. If you happened to know Native Coffee Tribe or Pepperloin Steakhouse, or perhaps the recently hyped Boon Tong Kee or Saine Daise; PappaRich was just next to all of them, located at the edge position. It’s a huge 2-storey building, which I guesstimated able to accommodate more than 100 guests. Once nice thing I recognized, they even provided an elevator which I guessed was intended to serve the needs of the elders or family with little kids, who might find it troublesome to climb up the stairs. Such a lovely and thoughtful family restaurant! :)    

Following its nature as a Malaysian restaurant, the venue itself was mainly decorated with pictures reflecting Malaysian theme. I was madly in love with the idea of putting giant windows covering all sides of the place, allowing the natural light to come in. Not to mention the marble tables, making it a flawlessly-Instagenic place.


However, when it came to service, I sadly had to admit that in my humble view it did require improvement; in terms of speed, quality, and knowledge of the waiter/waitress. To maintain the guest’s satisfaction, they need to ensure that the waiter/waitress is responsive and completely knowing the dishes they’re selling. The presentation of the dishes should also match the one displayed on the menu, to ascertain the guest’s expectation is met.

Chicken Satay (IDR 35k)
 

Preventing the dragons in my friends and my tummy from causing destruction as we’re so starving, we had this chicken satay as the appetizer of our Malaysian food feast. The peanut sauce was flavorful and the chicken was well-seasoned though I expected it to be a bit juicier.

Penang Prawn Mee (IDR 48k)


Please don’t mistakenly think this is laksa as it’s indeed not. It’s the well-known Penang Prawn Mee, which was usually so loved for its prawn-head broth. Carrying one of Malaysian’s signature dish, this bowl was quite yummy especially with those fresh prawns. I was just quite upset with that little crack at the edge of the bowl :( .

Hainan Chicken Rice with Steamed Chicken (IDR 49k)


Hmmm. It was quite hard for me to comment on this one as the first time it’s served on the table, I was a bit surprised that it looked quite too different to the one I saw on the menu. I didn’t know if it’s only me but well, you could judge it by yourself so I wouldn’t call out here what’s the key difference I meant. Taste wise, it was actually quite good with that tender chicken; nonetheless I couldn’t say it’s the best Hainan Chicken Rice.

Nasi Lemak with Chicken Curry + Sambal Prawns (IDR 58k)
 

Tons of thanks to this Nasi Lemak since it came as the super potion. From all the meals I had, this was certainly the shining star. Put aside the sambal prawns which I wished to come in more generous portion; the rice was well-cooked and tasty, and the chicken curry was served with rich blend of spices.  

Briyani Rice with Chicken Curry + Beef Rendang + Sambal Prawns (IDR 78k)
 

Quite similar to the prior dish, but this one came with Briyani rice and extra beef rendang. We almost missed the sambal prawns as it’s initially not served on the plate but then we reminded the waiter and it’s then served on separated plate. The beef rendang, which was not in the previous one, was an extra delicacy as it was luscious and the texture was delightful. For the rice, I was still ‘Nasi Lemak’ team, but please consider this as subjective view as I was indeed not really into Briyani ;)

Hainan Steamed Bread with Butter + Kaya (IDR 30k)

If the first thing coming into your mind was Kaya Toast once you heard the word ‘Kaya’, then this one might be quite distinctive for you. Yes, you got it right, it’s steamed bread. Nevertheless, you needn’t worry as this exceptional point did pamper my taste bud with exceptional flavor as well! The steamed bread was sooo moist that it straightly melted in your mouth. The butter tasted superb as well and surprisingly I loved loved it much more than the kaya!

3 Layer Tea (IDR 30k)


Done with all the foods, let’s go the beverages! The name of this drink itself made it sound unique and did represent how it actually looked as you could clearly see three separated layer with different colors. Looking quite similar to Thai Tea, the taste did go not far from Thai Tea. The taste was pretty nice and refreshing, but perhaps could be even better if it’s slightly sweeter :) .

Milo Dinosaur (IDR 36k)
And finally, the one that was absolutely a must-have in every visit to Malaysian restaurant. Yesss, no other than Milo Dinosaur! Gladly, this drink came as a great ending to the Malaysian food feast I had at PappaRich. The thick texture with strong Milo flavor has successfully blown my mind up and immaculately spoiled my taste bud. Well, who cared about calorie when it tasted this good?

Overall, good luck for PappaRich’s very first branch in Indonesia! In my next visit, I guess it’s the turn to try more of the desserts, especially the durian and milo dinosaur cheesecake, which have successfully stolen my curiosity!

 
Taste: 7/10
Place: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Price: 7/10

 
Thanks for Reading! :)


PappaRich
Address: Ruko The Metro Blok 6 JA, Jl. Mandara Permai VII Blok G8, Pantai Indah Kapuk, Jakarta
Phone: +62 21 2970 4981 ext. 765
Operating Hours: Mon – Sun 7am – 1am


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment