Monday, September 19, 2016

Dessert Madness at Izakaya Kai

It’s just several days ago when I saw the very first post of this new comer in Northern Jakarta area, Izakaya Kai. Guess what’s the first picture I saw, which has successfully stolen my heart and hypnotized my brain? Yes, without any single doubt, it’s for sure the dessert, the impeccably gorgeous Red Velvet Chocolate Cake! Looking very familiar, I then found out that this restaurant was actually established by the admirable couple, Adhika Maxi and pastry chef Karen Carlotta, who have been very well-known for their amazingly innovative ideas.



Collaborating with the Tempura Master, Chef Hitoshi Kimura, together they opened this two-storey Japanese restaurant at one of Jakarta’s most crowded culinary spot, Pluit. At the first floor of the venue, there it resided the all-day café, serving several Japanese cuisines and Chef Karen Carlotta’s masterpiece desserts. While at the second floor, they had the Japanese Izakaya restaurant, offering various Japanese traditional cuisines like Tempura, Yakitori, Donburi, Udon, and many more. Unfortunately, you could only order the dishes served at the floor where you dined in so if you wanted to try the foods served at both floors, it meant you have to eat at one of the floors first then moved to the other one.


The place itself was a cozy one with simple and minimalist design. For me, the first floor didn’t look any Japanese at all, while the second one indeed served the Japanese restaurant atmosphere with the dim lighting.



Despite the crowd, my friends and I luckily got a table immediately though we didn’t make any advanced reservation. The waitress was quite responsive and quickly directed us to the vacant table. However, when it came to the ordering part, I was quite disappointed with the service provided. It took them quite long to serve the cakes we ordered, while actually they’re just there displayed at the chiller and ready to be served right away. I needed to ask for multiple times before I got them provided on my table. One more thing, I almost didn’t get my most desired cake, the Chocolate Red Velvet, as they firstly mentioned that the cake was sold out, while actually when I was ordering it, they still had multiple slices in the chiller. I was really irritated and straightly complained to the waiter. Providentially, the waiter responded fast by trying to re-check again then provided the great news that they had another 1 whole cake to be served.   



Pork and Salted Egg Yolk Brioche Bun


Shooing my irascibility away, there I was, enjoying the very first dish served on the table, the appetizer which was given as a compliment from Chef Adhika Maxi himself, who kindly greeted all the guests although he was very busy. Well, I guess the name of the dish has clearly told you what it mainly was. This twist of French and Chinese taste was certainly a very delightful way to start the feast there. The combination of the pillowy bun and scrumptious minced pork filling, completed with golden salted egg yolk at the center, were such a perfect delicacy.

Crispy Salmon Soy Orange Donburi (IDR 80k)


From the selection of main dishes, which were various pasta and donburi, our choice went to this crispy salmon since it’s also said as the recommended one. Not only good-looking, the salmon was indeed moist, giving that melt-in-your-mouth moment. Not to mention, the crispy skin which added more happiness into the bowl. Though I couldn’t say it’s the best donburi ever, but I thought it was a quite nice one as the sauces and seasonings were evenly spread throughout the whole bowl.

Kaastengels Cheese Pie (IDR 50k)


Saving the tummy space for my most favorite part, the desserts, that’s basically the main reason why my friends and I only ordered 1 main course. And our dessert madness started with this pie, a blend of soft cream cheese with a hint of burnt caramel on top and kaastengels pie as the base. Simply said, it tasted like the traditional kaastengels which you usually had during occasions like Christmas, New Year or Eid, however this one added the cream cheese as the innovative part. Taste wise, it’s quite ok although nothing really surprised me.

Matcha Chocolate Cake (IDR 50k)


Looking at the presentation, did you just think that this cake reminded you of something? For me it’s big yes. Staring at it for the first time, I straightaway remembered Union’s Chocolate Mint Pie. The first spoon then became the moment of truth. My longtime wish just turned into reality and I was so happy I finally found it. I’d always wished Union’s Chocolate Mint pie could be served without the mint as I was not really into mint and yeaayy, my dream cake was just right here now! I didn’t mind with the matcha flavor that I couldn’t find in this cake, as long as the pleasant chocolate taste was there, it’s more than enough.

Goma Cake (IDR 45k)


At first this cake actually failed to capture my interest, but just in seconds, once it touched my palate I was then proven totally wrong. Bringing out black sesame as its main ingredient, this moist cake was such a fascinating surprise. The black sesame scent was not overpowering, the sweetness level was just right, and the texture was so light, making it a great choice to be enjoyed with your cup of coffee or tea. Even due to its simple yet pampering taste, a huge portion of it would still be gratifying. For you who wasn’t really into dessert or just fancied a light one, I strongly recommended you to go for this as I believed you’d love love love it!

Red Velvet Chocolate Cake (IDR 50k)



Finally, the last dessert to be mentioned and yes, I intentionally put it as the last one to be shared to all of you. Why? Putting it as an analogy, it was the crispy skin to your fried chicken. YESSS, it’s doubtlessly the BEST part of the dessert feast! Well, who didn’t love Chef Karen Carlotta’s heavenly red velvet? For me, it’s the cake that’s never too big to be enjoyed by myself, the sinful indulgence that made every single calorie taken was well-spent. Being successful with the breakthrough idea of Red Velvet Cheesecake, now Chef Karen came with another invention dedicated for the chocolate lover, the astonishing collaboration of the all-time favorite red velvet with the strong rhum and dark chocolate flavor. Every single bite was so damn good that your taste bud wouldn’t be able to resist being spoiled.


Without any single doubt, I can bluntly say that I will go back to this place and can even be one of its most loyal customers, just like how I’m madly addicted to Union. I’ve been a crazy devotee of all chef Karen Carlotta’s marvelous desserts and the ones served here now belong to my top list! Moreover, I couldn’t wait to try their Izakaya Japanese restaurant as well, so looking forward to the next visit and I really hope it would be some time real soon.

(UPDATED)

Bailey's Mocha Crunch Cake (IDR 50k)


Though it's not as soon as my expectation, I finally made my second visit to Izakaya Kai and this time it's with my dessert sister! Well, she's literally my sister but she has the passion in dessert as deep as I am and that's the history why the name came up. Besides the must-have Chocolate Red Velvet, this time I tried the newest comer, Bailey's Mocha Crunch, which straight-away became my other favorite here. I was a severe addict of Bailey's and this cake unquestionably satisfied me to the fullest with its extra strong kick of Bailey's. It was there all over the cake and the most killing part was indeed the chocolate layer, super intense Bailey's flavor that you could even get that warm feeling in your tummy and all over the body. The mocha sponge cake layer beautifully came as the perfect neutralizer to balance out the whole taste.

Actually, there were some more newly displayed ones on the showcase, which I would surely opt for in the following visits :) 


Taste: 8.5/10
Place: 8/10
Service: 7.5/10
Price: 8/10


Thanks for Reading! :)


Izakaya Kai
Address: Jl. Pluit Kencana Raya No. 59, Jakarta
Phone: +62 21 2266 3966
Operating Hours: All-day Cafe Mon - Sun 11am - 11pm / Izakaya Restaurant Mon - Sun 11am - 3pm, 6pm - 10pm
 


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment