Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Gelato Hangover at Grom


Gelato, well, who doesn’t love it? And if people love it, then call me severely addicted to it. Yes, as crazy as I am into dessert, that best describes how insane I am towards gelato as well. When people say eat desserts when you’re stressed, I basically have it when I’m stressed, angry, sad, happy, nervous; all the time regardless my mood. Because desserts for me are simply essential to keep me alive. Ok, now I might start to be over-exaggerating LOL.



Being a dessert addict, I have always been hyper-excited to try any new desserts. Thereby, when I firstly heard that the well-known Italian-branded Gelato, Grom, was finally in town, I really wish I could have Doraemon’s ‘Anywhere Door’ so that just in a blink I could reach the outlet and be the first to lick the gelato from the cone. Being over-curious, I still remembered the day when Grom’s first outlet at Pacific Place was opened, I straightly went there after my office-hour, standing in the long queue, fighting to have a try. Ever since then, I’m madly in love with Grom.


Just at the beginning of this month, Grom finally expands its wings by opening 2 new branches; in Lotte Shopping Avenue and in Plaza Senayan. Having been to all the 3 outlets, I love the one in Lotte the most. First reason, it’s simply the one located closest to my boarding house and my office, just a 15-minute walk! Secondly, I just love the atmosphere of the outlet as it’s quite spacious and it’s cozy enough to spend long time for chillin’.


A short snapshot for you on how Grom was actually started back then in 2003 in Torino, Italia; so this brand was actually founded by Guido Matinetti and Federico Grom, who intended to serve Gelato in the original way how it used to be serve by their ancestors, and in their view, how Gelato indeed should be served. Being started there 13 years ago, now Grom has already been available in several countries, including France, Dubai UAE, Japan, United States, and Hong Kong.



Talking about ingredient itself, to keep the quality and the taste of the products, the founders established MURA-MURA, the organic farm located in Piedmont, Italia, to produce the ingredients. Grom also guarantees that the products are free from artificial colorings, artificial ingredients, and anything which is not organically made. Even, they do have gluten-free flavors, which are Crema di Grom and Tiramisu, so you now can have them with no worries!


Focusing on Gelato, there are several menus offered in all the outlets in Jakarta, which are Gelato, Fruit Sorbets, Hot Chocolate (Baccio), and Shake. Unfortunately, the shake is still unavailable in Lotte outlet but no biggies as it’ll be there real real soon! Besides, there’s also menu, combining the basic ones, which is affogato, the blend of gelato and hot chocolate/coffee.




Some flavors offered by Grom are Crema de Grom, Extra Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate & Hazelnut Chips, Chocolate, Milk Chocolate Chip, Nougat, Vanilla, Tiramisu, Coffee, Salted Caramel, Pistachio, Hazelnut, Cherry Cheesecake, Lemon, Strawberry, Mango, Pear and many more. Among those, my top 3 as well as all-time favorites are Crema de Grom (the signature flavor from Grom, mixing egg cream gelato with gluten free corn biscuit and Domori chocolate chips), Extra Dark Chocolate (the one with very strong chocolate taste, which for me is the perfect match to the sweet ones such as Crema de Grom), and Cherry Cheesecake (the flawless combination of cheesecake gelato, biscuits, and cherries). Avoiding the confusion in having to pick the desired flavor, I usually go for the three of them and having them in the cup as you can only go for two flavors for cone. For me, these 3 flavors are impeccable trio as they balance each other! The sweet taste will come from Crema de Grom and Cherry Cheesecake while the bitter one will be brought out by extra dark chocolate. What I love about Grom is it’s not excessively milky as well.




For you who fancy something fresh for your gelato flavor, you can opt for the sorbet. There are also seasonal flavors usually provided and changed regularly. Several weeks ago, Coconut flavor was there and became one of the most favorite. Currently, they had Green Tea flavor and Raspberry Sorbet!




Today, I went for Crema de Grom and Cherry Cheesecake in a cone. However, having had that, my palate still craved for some more then I decided to go for the next round and had affogato. Please do pardon my high sugar-intake and you’re welcome to get jealous now! Well, just FYI I ran for 10k this morning to have this (LOL. Just kidding. I did run 10k but it’s not just to have this). Ok cut the story short, my choice for my medium-sized affogato, which came with 2 flavors of gelato, went to Milk Chocolate & Hazelnut Chips and Coffee with Hot Dark Chocolate. This drink was AMAAAZINGGGG and I finished it till the very last drop just in a blink. The thick hot dark chocolate was immaculate and I imagined having a pitcher of it might drive me insane. The gelato came as perfect companions and I indeed intentionally chose Milk Chocolate & Hazelnut Chips to give the sweet taste, while Coffee just to give a hint of espresso scent. My friends went for Hot Milk Chocolate as well as Coffee for their affogato, which I also tried, but for me, mine was still unbeatable!



Well said, this second round beautifully ended my sugar-high treat at Grom today. Tons of thanks to Grom for well-spoiling my taste bud and I’m highly excited to come again for their shakes and other new flavors!  





Taste: 8.5/10
Place: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 8/10


Thanks for reading! :)


Grom
Address: Lotte Shopping Avenue GF / Pacific Place 1F / Plaza Senayan 3F – Jakarta
Phone: +62
21 2988 9090 / +62 21 5790 0416
Operating Hours: Mon – Sun 10am – 10pm


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment