Saturday, October 1, 2016

Sydney's Dessert Treasure's Found in Cuckoo Callay Newtown!

A typical spring weather today, sunny and windy, well call it extremely windy. Yes, the wind has blown so hard since early in the morning till the afternoon and for typical Indonesians who're not used to such weather, it's freezing!! Perhaps that's the best way to describe what my parents felt. Thereby, we had no choice but to go for a brunch place located close to the station which didn't require much walk. However, no worry as still nothing could stop us from having awesome brunch. Yes, we simply had too many options to opt for so we simply needed to select from one of them. 


Located just across Newtown station, Cuckoo Callay became the best choice for our brunch today. Just like another Australian cafes commonly, it had both indoor and outdoor area though the place was not that spacious. Again another characteristic of Australian cafes, it was packed with many visitors, unfortunately making us have to sit at the outdoor area. The waiter, who immediately greet us when we came, tried to find vacant table in the indoor spot for us but sadly he couldn't make it. It was actually nice to dine while enjoying the view of people passing-by, if only the weather was not this bloody cold :( .



Founded by a food enthusiast and a coffee lover, the venue itself came up with very casual design, delivering the contemporary concept. Paintings and funny words were all over the walls to be enjoyed by the eyes. It's a very cozy place to relax and enjoy your brunch while sipping your nice cup of caffeine.



Since my sister has ever dined here, so it's not that hard to choose which dishes to order this time. She has known the must-try ones and I didn't put any single doubt on her suggestion since we had almost exactly the same palate. Honestly admitted, I thought the dishes here were slightly more pricey than the ones I had in previous days, but well, when the taste paid-off, I guess it's pretty tolerable :)

Respect Burger (AUD 19)


Another version of gigantic burger to try! This time, it's chicken patty. I had no idea why it's called as popcorn chicken, which made me expect the patty came in the shape of small fried chicken balls, while it actually came as a stack of fried chicken. However, who cared about that when the taste was so YUMMM! The crispy and tender batter-coated chicken was impeccably blended with delicious double smoked bacon, Gruyere cheese, and sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) on brioche. Just like the name, much respect for serving this wonderful opening dish!

Magic Mushrooms (AUD 23)*
*Can be served as gluten-free


I guessed Cuckoo Callay was so smart in assigning names to its dishes, as they perfectly reflected how the dishes actually turned out. This Magic Mushrooms indeed delivered magical satisfaction to the eaters. No wonder it's my sister's most favorite one. Combining around 3 types of mushrooms including enoki, one of my most favorite ones (I guessed), I could enjoy that chewy-yummy moment in my mouth. And for me, the wonderful flavor didn't stop there as I was further hypnotized by the super succulent mixture of egg yolk coming from the bread-crumbed egg on top, spinach and truffle goat's cream. OMG, already badly craving for it!  

The Lost Cookie of Pompeii (AUD 17)




Woohoo! Now it's the turn for the sweets to continue pampering the belly. I didn't know if it worked the same for you, but for me, reading the ingredients of this dish only could already make me drool. It might be not the most gorgeous dish when it was firstly served, but wait until you cut it and see the chocolate lava explosion. Call me exaggerating, but I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVEEEE this dessert too much! Having the combination of cookie, molten chocolate, peanut butter mascarpone, caramelized banana, popping candy, and creme anglaise in a single spoon certainly created that heaven-on-earth feeling! Someone in Jakarta, serve this in your cafe, pretty pleaseeee. I promised I would be your most loyal customer *winking with puppy eyes*.

Hazelnut and Peanut Butter Slice (AUD 6)


Second round of sweets, which was actually an impromptu. When I was still in the train on my way coming here, I had been looking at the menu to see the description of the dishes my sister suggested. The three previous ones had indeed been planned to be ordered, but this one was the one I immediately pointed when I was looking around the showcase. Not only appear engaging, it also combined the awesome pair of hazelnut and peanut butter. If you happened to know caramel slice usually served in cafes, this was pretty much the same just with different ingredients. Simple taste, yet I loved it so much! Well, something unplanned usually ended up nice, wasn't it? ;) 

Skimmed Cappuccino (AUD 4)



Yeay! I was so happy to find out that Cuckoo Callay served another different coffee, which I hadn't tried before. I was more than excited to try this coffee, coming from Coffee Alchemy. So there it was on the table, hot skimmed cappuccino with gorgeous latte art as always. Though I preferred it to be less acid, it was a great cup to enjoy, not only due to the taste but also the strong coffee scent.  


Walking away from the venue back to Newtown station, you could see a big big smile drawn on my face after having a full happy tummy. Thanks to Cuckoo Callay for spoiling my taste bud today and your Lost Cookie of Pompeii would for sure reside on my top list of most favorite desserts! 


Taste: 9/10
Price: 7.5/10
Service: 9/10
Place: 8/10


Thanks for Reading! :)


CUCKOO CALLAY
Address: Newtown Railway Station, 324A King St, Newtown NSW 2042, Australia
Phone: (+61) 2 9557 7006
Operating Hours: Mon - Fri 6am - 4pm, Sat 8am - 4pm, Sun 8am - 3pm


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

1 comment:


  1. The blogs are really appreciable and one can trust the knowledge and information provided in the writing.The article you do produce on a weekly base
    really the best. I have found a similar website best dessert places in sydney visit the site to know more about Pure Gelato.

    ReplyDelete