Sunday, November 27, 2016

Oldst Bistro & Barber: Satisfying Portion, Scrumptious Taste

Warmest welcome to the one-month-old Oldst Bistro and Barber. Yes, another one who brought the concept of a place for both dining and having hair-cut, and this time the choice went to the Southern area, to be exact Gandaria. Just less than 100m from the well-known One-Fifteenth cafe, this new comer could easily be found without any troublesome. 










Compared to the common bistro and barber, I thought the venue was quite spacious. Located at the same storey, the barber was there at the back, occupying a minimalist space next to the bar. Mainly using sofas and small tables, this spot perfectly suited those who wanted to chill while enjoying comfort foods. Mirrors, pipes, small cactus pots, beautifully covering the grey walls, creating that industrial theme. Not to forget, the hanging light bulbs decorating the ceiling, which I was really in love with <3 <3. 
















Despite the fact that I was an Indonesian, my palate seemed to love Western dishes more, disagreeing with the crowd who said that without rice they might not survive. It's not the case that Oldst didn't serve rice, they did have it on the menu, but today myself did deserve to have what it desired, the foods that suited my liking. Giving those beautiful sparks in my heart, Oldst did serve all-day breakfast menu to please me! So here it was, the kickstart of the big big feast. 

Grilled Cheese Waffle (IDR 70k)



I guessed the picture pretty much could explain how the taste was and what's actually stuffed between my waffle. Yesss, I believed you could see that overflowing melted mozzarella and cheddar cheese. They're so generously given that my mind was blown away! Let alone the additional cream cheese sauce, which gave that triple cheese sensation in your mouth. 

Fish and Fries (IDR 80k)



The classic one, coming in quite huge portion. Moist fresh dory, combined with crispy bread-crumb coating. The best part of the dish, which was also the distinctive point if compared to fish and chips generally, was the tartar sauce. It flawlessly served the ideal blend of sweet and sour flavors. 

Steak Roll (IDR 155k)



From fish, now moving on to different type of protein, coming from the 4-leg animal loved by almost every taste bud. This sliced steak was served medium-well, yet the doneness level was actually adjustable depending on your request. Though I preferred it to be slightly more tender, it was well seasoned that I could enjoy it even without the sauce. That blackpepper hint was tasteful and impeccably suited my palate. As for the side dish, the mashed potatoes needed to be made smoother and a bit saltier, however the veggies have come as perfect healthy and luscious companions to the steak. 

Chicken and Waffle (IDR 90k)


The last main course to mention, the creme de la creme, the most favorite among the others. It was indeed said as one of the most recommended dishes, opted by most of the guests. Mixing sweet and savory flavors, soft and crispy texture, from the waffle stacks and the fried buttermilk chicken respectively; this dish turned out AWESOME! Oh yeah, not to mention, even the sauces came in both sweet and savory ones, maple syrup and gravy sauce. The golden brown batter-coated chicken was juicy and scrumptious, satisfying my craving for delicious brunch menu. I guess I've made the perfect decision by having this as the last heavy dish to enjoy. What a climax!

Fried Magnum (IDR 45k)



Just like the light which rises after the dark, here's also the sweet that rose after the savory. Now you got it right, the turn for desserts, and the most unique one among all on the list was this Fried Magnum. Yes, literally Magnum ice cream, coated into bread crumbs and deep fried. It's kinda funny for me personally that I was having Magnum (again) here. I indeed have eaten too much Magnum lately; first reason it's produced by the company I'm working in, second reason I'm responsible for the factory producing it. Haha, now you got it. That's why when I first tried it, I could immediately tell which Magnum variant was used and this time it was the Creme Brulee one. 





Although I've had too much Magnum already, this was my very first time having it deep fried and it was indeed a totally discrete one. If you wonder if it melted, yes slightly, yet it still had that solid texture inside the chocolate as well. Despite it's already sweet, IMHO it might better come with another sauce as topping to enjoy with, avoiding it being too dry.


Kitkat Latte (IDR 45k)





Not only the foods, the sweet drinks were also pretty innovative, including this Kitkat Latte. Well, it might be common if it's the frappe version, yet hot one? I guessed I'd never seen it before. Notwithstanding that I still loved the frappe version more, unexpectedly this hot one tasted quite lovely, especially for you who might want to kind of neutralizing the coffee flavor with something sweet, particularly chocolate touch. 

Strawberry Milkshake (IDR 45k)



Not much thing to comment on this one (in a good way for sure *wink*); well simply said, who didn't love milkshake? It's been one of my most favorite drink since childhood time and let's call it a 'keep-counting' till now. Great news, this blend of fresh strawberries and fresh milk in Oldst's way, could efficaciously pamper my taste bud while bringing back those sweet little-kid memories. 

Ultimate Shake (IDR 60k)



Ultimate shake, the name gravely described this shake, indeed the ultimate sinful indulgence. Perhaps you could mention anything you usually found in milkshake, and I could only say that you would definitely be able to see it in this glass. No, not multiple glasses, you heard it right, it's GLASS, this SINGLE GLASS. Ice cream, chocolate, cookies, and even fruit loops; whatever you wished for :p! Unfathomably, in spite of the fact that it blended uber rich ingredients, the taste was not overly sweet, making it irresistible to stop once you took the very first sip of it.




In a nutshell, it was surely an enchanted brunch to have after the exhausting weekdays. Such a faultless energy and mood booster for the upcoming week. This bistro surely deserved a try if you're looking for a cozy place serving succulent dishes with decent price. Another delighting info to hear, as they're still in opening promo period, there's 15% discount for all foods all-day-long, which the guests could get just by taking picture of their foods and posted it on social media. So just try and share your own stories ;)



And for Oldst Bistro & Barber, CONGRATULATIONS for your opening and good luck!


Taste: 8/10
Place: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 8/10


Thanks for Reading! :)



Oldst Bistro &  Barber
Address: Jl Gandaria I No. 67, Jakarta
Phone: (+62) 812 1865 5122
Operating hours: Mon – Sun 09.00am – 00.00am


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment