Sunday, January 8, 2017

Sweets and Coffee at Calibrate Coffee

Another new comer in West Jakarta, adding 1 more number to the uncountable coffee shops in this area. Calibrate Coffee was located at Puri Indah area, occupying the second floor of the two-storey building next to Dermaga Seafood. It's quite visible especially because of the huge parking space right in front of the venue. Unlike other typical coffee shops in Puri, Calibrate was actually quite spacious; combining small tables, sofa with low tables, as well as long tables to accommodate bigger groups of people. It was a cozy spot for working or simply for relaxing and killing time. Just next to the entrance door, the outdoor space resided, where they placed just small tables which I guessed were made for the smokers. It was actually the balcony of the building itself and thereby it's quite a tiny one. 











Just opened its door for public 4 days ago, this new coffee shop's still in soft opening period and hence they haven't served any heavy courses. For now, they mainly had some pastries which were all displayed on the showcases, to accompany you sipping your caffeine doze. Besides, some other non-coffee beverages were also available on the menu, to allow those with coffee-intolerant palates quenching their thirst as well. Having limited selection to go for, I picked some of the sweets, which looked appetizing and also recommended by the barista. Yes, I did ask for his reference since I was kind of clueless. Luckily, he was indeed very helpful as he's gladly explaining each of the pastries they provided. He also gave me some suggestions based on their most favorite ones. So let's not talking too much anymore and see what I had on my table. 

Cheese Puff (IDR 35k)



Basically, I kinda disagreed with the name as it looked more like flaky tart instead of puff. Nonetheless, name was merely name. After all, who cared as taste was surely the most important. It took them quite long to prepare for this one as it needed to be reheated. I guessed it required some time as the temperature couldn't be too high to ensure the pastry base stayed flaky outside yet moist inside. Additionally, also to keep the abundant cheese located at the center part kept molten. The long wait was certainly not worthless as the taste was seductive with strong cheese flavor. It was neither too creamy, nor too sweet. There's no overpowering taste and every single component balanced and complemented each other, crafting wonderful blend of taste in a single bite. Quite a strong competitor to the recently hyped baked cheesetart (not mentioning any brands *giggling*)

Frozen Ovomaltine Choux (IDR 25k)


Honestly speaking, it's indeed not the most beautiful choux ever, and I could even say that the presentation was very simple. I was not sure how many choices of flavors they actually had as they provided no menu listing all the pastries. Referring to what I could see in the showcase, there were only two of them, Ovomaltine and Vanilla. According to the barista, Ovomaltine became the one more preferred by most of the guests and that made me ended up go for the Ovomaltine. Distinctively, they did provide two ways to serve the choux, either normal or frozen. I knew this since the barista suggested me to try the frozen one instead of just having the normal. "OK, I follow you sir!"


Thanks to the barista who didn't disappoint me with my decision to obey his order. Regardless I couldn't find anything special with the skin of the choux, I really loved the filling as it's so generously given. Well, I had to admit that my palate said it didn't really taste like Ovomaltine and I guessed I'd rather call it chocolate flavor. Nevertheless, it was a palatable one and I loved how the taste being simple yet indulging. 

Mini Canele (IDR 8k)


These petite sweets were actually the ones capturing my interest for the very first time. Yes, when I was about to find a coffee shop around West Jakarta, I saw the picture of these tiny pastries being posted by my friend. I was sold to its cute appearance, which reminded me of Sophie Authentique's, which was actually my favorite Canele in town. If in Sophie I preferred to go for the big-sized one as I thought it's more moist while the mini one was slightly drier, these Mini Canele from Calibrate surprised me with its soft and easy-to-chew texture despite the fact that my sister and I had them not warm anymore since we did take time to snap them. I could smell the alluring vanilla aroma, which grew stronger as I chewed the pastry. Such fascinating taste you got there, fellas! 



Enjoying the delectable pastries wouldn't be exhaustive without the coffee, so there they were, cappuccino for my sister and piccolo for me. Yes I intentionally opted for something different from hers so I could have a try on both. It's my bad that I forgot to ask the barista whose beans they were using, but I remembered I saw the famous Blue Bottle was also there yet I was not sure which one they were actually using for these two cups we had. Sipping from both cups, I could say that they were pleasant with bold flavor and aroma, but not my most favorite as the coffee was slightly too acid for my liking. If I had to choose, I would pick the cappuccino as the more milk component could better balance the acidity of the coffee itself.


Cappucino (IDR 37k)
Piccolo (IDR 30k)
 

In my view, visiting at the soft opening only wouldn't be enough as there had to be much more dishes to be served by them later on at the grand one. Moreover, I did see that they had various types of beans there at the bar. Thus, at my next visit, I would surely ask what's their recommendation and I would go for the one which suited my coffee preference. Shortly said, all the best for you Calibrate Coffee and keep making lip-smacking pastries! ;)


Taste: 8.5/10 (Food), 7.5/10 (Coffee)
Place: 8/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 7.5/10


Thanks for Reading! :)


CALIBRATE COFFEE
Address: Jl Puri Kembangan No. 9EF - 2nd Floor, Jakarta
Phone: (+62) 8121 000 670
Operating hours: Mon - Sun 7am - 7pm


Find me on:
Instagram . Facebook . Twitter
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment