Thursday, January 19, 2017

'White Desserts' at Boufe Boutique Cafe

If only I didn't browse for the place, I guessed people could hardly know there's a coffee shop here as it's quite hidden, located at the first floor of a building which looked like an apartment. Instead of residing by the side of the road, the apartment spot itself was actually behind another building so you had to go pass some alleys before finally reaching the venue. 






White addict!! First thing popped in my mind when I saw the place for the very first time. White walls, white doors, white tables, white chairs, white flowers, and even mostly white props used to decorate the whole space. So classic and simple, yet extremely elegant especially in the eyes of mine and perhaps most girls. It simply gave the implication that everything's so clean and pure. 







The venue itself was quite spacious despite the fact that it didn't provide any outdoor seating. Well, perhaps it's also not suitable to have one as the area was quite hot, being immediately hit by the sun light. Moreover, not much leftover space available anyway. Nonetheless, the outer appearance of the venue was actually quite catchy for taking 'OOTD snaps', especially for ladies. Some spots just looked impeccable for those girly candid poses (and I certainly didn't miss it *wink*).




Having had our early brunch in the previous coffee shop we visited, my friends and I were quite full when we reached Boufe. Additionally, the wonderfully-presented cakes displayed on the chiller shooed our dilemmatic moment just in a blink as their appearance made us easily ended up deciding to go for desserts only. Yes, we were successfully sold to their gorgeous and distinctive look (Well, you got us at the first sight, fellas). 

Green Tea Mont Blanc (SGD 7.5)
Chocolate almond tart, chocolate chantily, crunchy pearl, green tea mousseline, chestnut in syrup



This cake doubtlessly reminded me of my good old dessert times in Japan, where I could easily find lip-smacking Mont Blanc and succulent Matcha desserts. Nevertheless, I thought I've never found the two combined into one. I guessed that's also the reason why I immediately opted for it. Unlike common Mont Blanc, this didn't have chestnut paste as the chestnut only came in the syrup component of the cake. The green tea paste came as the substitute instead. I've excitedly expected this innovative idea would spoil my palate, blending the components I loved, yet unfortunately it turned out that my taste bud wishing for bolder green tea flavor. The mousse under it was quite nice, being smooth and not overly sweet, yet again the bottom part didn't really suit my liking. I had no problem with the tart's shell itself as it's flavorful and faultlessly crunchy, instead what's inside it was the one that 'wasn't really me'. I would prefer it to go with custard or cream-based cake rather than with more spongy and drier texture like what it actually did. Though overall this cake was not bad, but it didn't turn out as good as I expected :)

Milky Way (SGD 8.5)
White chocolate yoghurt mousse, honey genoise, chocolate sable, calamansi jelly



One word to describe the cake? I might pick REMARKABLE! Coming in this presentation, this cake was of course distinguished. Served in anti-mainstream face, the cake seemed like tickling anyone's curiosity to give it a try. The name itself impeccably represented how it looked like, exactly reflecting the galaxy. 


Not only the presentation, the flavor was also unique, combining sweet and sour taste into one, from the chocolate and honey, and the layer of calamansi jelly respectively. Besides, mix of texture was also provided here by the soft mousse and the crunchy sable. I myself thought the white chocolate was slightly too sweet, yet my friend picked this as his favorite since he said the sweet flavor and the sour flavor were not overpowering each other.


Boufe Cake (SGD 8.5)
64% chocolate mousse, passion fruit mango cremeux, rum syrup-infused chocolate genoise base, and crunchy hazelnut nougatine




Standing at a different side from my friend, this chocolate based cake was my numero uno, serving bold chocolate flavor and a hint of bitterness from the rum syrup. It was even more moist than the second cake that it would be quite hard to have a perfect slice of it when you cut the cake. I also loved the idea of putting passion fruit mango creme at the center, as for me the strong sourness became the surprise from this dessert. When the prior cake brought the combination of flavors, each of which were quite light, this one mixed the taste which were contradicting to each other; indeed richer feel for the palate!

  


Twilight (SGD 7)
Boufe's colour-changing drink containing mint, elderflower, and lemon 


Not stopping at having attention-stealer cake, we did try to go for a breakthrough for one of our drinks. There it was, Twilight, bringing together not Edward Cullen and Bella Swan, but mint, elderflower, and lemon. It was basically kind of mocktail, which had the color-changing distinctive point, once you  poured the extra liquid served separately. It was such an eye-catchy presentation, yet the taste was kinda plain for my palate. I fancied it to have stronger flavor, regardless it's sweeter or sourer. Despite that, there's actually another distinguished point from the drink. One of its ingredients, elderflower, was actually the medicine for flu! 

Salted Caramel Latte (SGD 5.5)


Sometimes found, yet quite a rare one to appear on the menu of a coffee shop; coffee latte with the touch of salted caramel. The coffee itself was a great cup of caffeine with strong flavor and aroma. Unfortunately, the extra salted caramel shot didn't suit our taste bud well and my friend even said it's overly salty.

Piccolo (SGD 4.8)


That made us in turn preferred the piccolo better. Besides bolder coffee flavor, it also delivered slightly bitter taste, exactly like our common liking. 



In a nutshell, if you were after flawless spots for selfies or taking beautiful pictures of yourself, or perhaps you simply wanted to hunt for great coffee, this spot could be one of the right answers for you. Talking about their desserts, shortly said they're overall nice but indeed not like the most perfect ones that everyone would surely fall for. Perhaps you could also give a try on their savory dishes as they did provide the selections of heavy meals, which I haven't got the chance to try yet. Well, who knows it will be at my next visit? ;) 


Taste: 8/10
Place: 8.5/10
Service: 8/10
Price: 7.5/10



Thanks for Reading! :)


BOUFE BOUTIQUE CAFE
Address: 308 Tanglin Road, Phoenix Park, #01-01, S247974, Singapore
Phone: (+65) 6734 7656
Operating Hours: Tue - Fri 8am - 10pm, Sat - Sun 10am - 10pm


Find me on:
Instagram . Facebook . Twitter
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment