Saturday, January 7, 2017

Sydney's Caffeine is Now Available at Toby's Estate Jakarta

Wooo! Finally the long awaited Toby's Estate is here in town! Yesss, that well-known coffee roaster from the Kangaroo continent. I've been looking forward to this time, the initial visit to this coffee shop, ever since several months ago when I went to Hurricane and the team told me that their group's going to open Toby's Estate in Jakarta. Having tried the original one in Sydney and loving the taste, I was indeed a happy kid when this time finally came. 



Located at PIK Avenue, the newly opened mall in North Jakarta area, Toby's occupied quite a gigantic space, just like other restaurants located at this shopping center. It was designed like typical coffee shop in Australia, making me feel the ambiance of sitting in relax mode while sipping my morning doze at my short sweet escape to Sydney last September. However, unlike my preference when I was there to pick seat at the outdoor area, here I chose the indoor one because of the dusty air caused by the on-going construction around the site sobbing. 






Mainly covered in white tiles, green plants, and slight touch of golden color, the decoration looked simple yet gorgeous at the same time. The long bar table located right at the center, where they displayed some of the pastries and sweets as well as coffee-maker tools, made the interior looked simply more sophisticated. I did love the idea of combining various shapes of tables placed at different corners, making the view didn't look monotone and boring. 







Reflecting what always happened in Jakarta with newly opened spots, the venue was so packed with people from various age group when I was there, despite that it's early Sunday morning when many people preferred to spend their time in bed. Luckily, My friends and I came just in time that we got our seats right away and needn't have to spend even a single minute queuing, while just couple minutes afterwards, the long queue started. Similar to the style in Australian coffee shop, we had to share table with other guests as it's quite a huge one. Blaming the crowd, it took quite some time for them to have our order served on the table. 



Eggs Benedict Broadway Style (IDR 115k)



When having Australian brunch, eggs were like mandatory ingredients. Thus, eggs benedict were must-try for us here. Having 3 options which basically served different protein with the eggs bennie - Brooklyn, Woolly, and Broadway styles - we went for the third one which came with Norwegian smoked salmon and smashed avocado. Though the hollandaise sauce was slightly too thick for me, I still thought the dish was well-executed having the perfectly runny yolk and wonderfully seasoned salmon. The portion was quite sizable as well, just like the real Australian one. If you wanted to play safe and went mainstream, this could suit you best. 

Buttermilk Chicken Corn Frittata (IDR 125k)


Now moving to the top of mind. Yeah, I guessed everyone who came here (well at least those who did post their snaps on their social media) did order this dish. I could still clearly remember how my timeline was populated by the pictures of this dish at the first few weeks upon Toby's Estate grand opening. This dish also ever got so hype few months back then. So was it as awesome as the trend it created?? Well yes, it has successfully proven it was, bringing the delightful twist of sweet and savory taste from the sauces and the chicken. This main protein of the dish also delivered the indulgence through its great combination of tender meat and crispy coating. I could imagine that it would probably be even more palatable if the thigh part was served on the plate instead of the breast as it would give juicier texture in each bite. How about the base? No single doubt to be put on the corn frittata! Unlike in other places where buttermilk chicken was usually served with waffle, Toby's came with this innovative joint that was surprisingly addicting. If Indonesians usually had corn frittata for snacks or with rice, this time it gave different sensation being served with buttermilk chicken, yet still delivering the same heavenly indulgence. Yummmm!

Brioche French Toast (IDR 95k)


As it's always incomplete without the sweet ending, so this french toast came there to ensure nothing's missing. Serving eggy bread with apple and mixed berries drizzled in maple syrup, this menu right away stole my heart, especially that super moist bread which literally gave that perfectly-melted-in-your-mouth feeling. Its fragrant aroma and milky taste were such mind blower, making it irresistible for having another bite. But oops! I thought I missed something here, hmm I wondered if I read espresso bacon mentioned as one of the toppings I should have with my french toast. Realizing it, I immediately asked the waitress and guessed what happened fellas? Sorry to say but I was really disappointed because instead of bringing back the dish to the kitchen and added the bacon or alternatively replaced it with the new one, she asked us to wait then she brought to our table a plate of bacon. Another sorry, but I lost my respect and I was totally upset. At least when you failed to serve as per mentioned in the menu, you showed some effort to show your apology (well, that's what I humbly expected as a customer). 

Cappuccino (IDR 40k)


Luckily, my dissatisfaction was cured by the one I wanted the most here, the first reason bringing me here as well, the coffee! Gladly said, this cup did deserve the long wait I've spent. It perfectly satisfied my taste bud with that signature Australian coffee flavor. Fragrant aroma, bold taste, slightly milky, low acidity, a hint of bitterness, and not to forget the clean after taste. Excellent caffeine doze to kick start my enjoyable productive Sunday! When your palate opted for stronger one, you might go for extra shot (+IDR15k) just like my friend did. Though it made your cup turned kinda pricey, my friend said it couldn't taste any better and he loved it to bits! 

Piccolo (IDR 35k)

Alternatively, if you did fancy extra 'kick' in your cup yet with more affordable price, you could go for the petite one, Piccolo. Tasted as good with less penny out of your pocket wink. 

Serving the types of dishes that were so me, I really wish Toby's Estate could be a step closer to where I resided. Should this come true, my name would most likely reside at loyal customers list. For sure with one note, better service and don't take my bacon away please ;)


Taste: 8.5/10
Place: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Price: 8/10


Thanks for reading! :)


TOBY'S ESTATE
Address: PIK Avenue GF, Pantai Indah Kapuk, Jakarta
Phone: (+62 21) 2257 0966
Operating Hours: Sun - Thu 10am - 10pm, Fri - Sat 10am - 11pm


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment